Wednesday 14 May 2014

Elizabeth Shaw Dark Chocolate Cocoa Crunch

57% cocoa solids
Compared to the image on the packaging, the chocolate inside was far darker in colour. I thought that this chocolate tasted and smelt similar to the Callebaut dark chocolate I had recently, and I was so surprised to find out (and proud of myself for recognising) that Elizabeth Shaw does in fact use Barry Callebaut cocoa! The cocoa is sourced from Côte d'Ivoire

I initiated a sweet dark chocolate taste when I had the Callebaut a few weeks ago, and with this chocolate it was the same; very sweet. The cocoa in aroma was the predominant element, but after a while I found a hint of floral hiding in there

Cacao nibs in dark chocolate is a growing concept. The spark up of cacao nibs having health benefits and considered a 'superfood' is driving the demand for the nibs, particularly by health and nutrition enthusiasts

This chocolate had a caramel taste. The nibs were left after the chocolate had melted, and when bitten alone had the expected crunch texture of nibs which then lead to a light bitter finish

The addition of butterfat makes it more appropriate for this chocolate to be termed 'milk', but really the butterfat seems unnecessary. Maybe in the long run it works out cheaper for Elizabeth Shaw to do so, but for me it doesn't look too good on the ingredients list

This 'dark' chocolate wasn't my kind of chocolate, but i'm glad I tried it. Personally, I think the cocoa beans Barry Callebaut source from the Ivory Coast lack flavour, but note that I do love Callebaut's milk chocolate. I don't think this chocolate was anything special, but also note that I did love Elizabeth Shaw's Butterscotch Milk Chocolate

No comments:

Post a Comment